You may be aware that the two local community groups (the Archibald Corbett Society and the Corbett Resident Association) have recently set up a company to take over the Torridon library which is now run by volunteers. Supported by the Council, we successfully won Lewisham’s Council’s Cabinet support (during a procurement process) to take over the library and keep it and further develop it, as a community resource for our area and community.
Through the passion and hard work of our volunteers we have successfully been opened since October 2016. Along with the book lending service we have increased services and events to now include:
- Under 5s – Baby Bounce, Sparkle Music Does Stories & Rhymes, Story Time, Music Making.
- School-age children – Arts & Craft Activities, Colouring Club, Homework Club, Group for parents/carers of children with ASD (Autisitic Spectrum Disorder)
- Adults – Gentle Seated Yoga, Colouring Club, Knit’n’Natter, Hatha Yoga, Reminiscence Group, Creative Writing Group. Inspired Word Writing Group.
- Schools groups/classes reading sessions by our volunteers
- Cafe area providing hot drinks
- Second hand book stall
- Events done: – Carol Service for all at Christmas; World Book Night With a ‘ Harry Potter Extravaganza’; Downham & Whiteout Food Bank collection; Black History Month; Chinese New Year; In-house training programme for volunteers (Library Systems Training, Time Management, Stress Management )
New services/events in the pipeline are:
- IT support sessions.
- Employability programme
- Careers advice, coaching & mentoring for young people
- Events – LGBT month event; monthly folk music (ceilidh sessions & a music recital)
- Training – Dementia Awareness session this month.
We will be profiling some of our activities on the day of the official opening, details will be circulated a week before the event.